Friday, July 5, 2013

GMO Labeling: A Conversation

Dear Representative Levin:

Thank you for your response to my email in support of H.R. 1699, the “Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act.” I do not necessarily agree with all that you wrote but you gave me some things to consider.

The thing is, sixty countries have already banned GMO's, especially seeds. Most, if not all, of these crops are designed to be resistant to RoundUp, the herbicide Monsanto created and sells to control weeds in the fields. There is a picture circulating that shows people spraying a field with RoundUp and they are in hazard suits with gas masks. If something  is that dangerous to work with, do we really want it sprayed on our crops?

An 80 acre field was found to be growing genetically altered wheat. It was sprayed with roundup to clear the field but could not be killed. How it got there is unclear since this wheat has not been approved. I have my doubts about how healthy herbicide resistant crops can be for the human body. I WOULD, however, like to have the opportunity to make the decision for myself.. Labeling would give us that choice.

It is somewhat patronizing to say that labeling would be confusing. Personally I read nutrition labels all the time and do not find them confusing in the least. People would have the choice to read labels of GE foods or not. Those of us who do not want to eat those food products should be given the facts about whether they are genetically modified or not.

If Big Ag (read Monsanto) is so afraid consumers would run away from GE food products, that says something about their own doubts about their safety and healthfulness. Personally I do not trust any company who created things like DDT and Agent Orange. Millions of dollars in campaign contributions aside, Congress should not trust them either. Given Monsanto's checkered past, I would think the most prudent move would be to approve labeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment